Minds Matter of Detroit is a 100 percent volunteer-based organization. We do not have a single paid staff member. Our team is comprised of young professionals who represent many leading companies in the Greater Detroit area.
Transform a young student's life by supporting their college dreams. Become the catalyst for helping a student become the first in his or her family to attend college.
Our team will review your application and schedule a brief phone interview to assess your candidacy. Upon initial acceptance to the program, all candidates must complete and pass a background check, after which we will pair new mentors with their mentees.
The mentoring component consists of pairing our students with young professionals who have been through the college application process and who can help the students navigate the steps and requirements as they go through it. Our mentors provide individual support and guidance, allowing each student to fulfill his or her potential and make the leap to college.
- Each student is paired with dedicated mentors with whom they meet for one hour each Saturday during the school year to provide a support structure to ensure students succeed and to help students develop the skills necessary to succeed in college and beyond.
- Mentors work with our students over a three-year period to help students develop critical soft skills, including resume development, interview skills, and essay writing, as well as helping students determine summer program and college destinations and fields of study.
- Mentors further assist students in the summer program, college application, and financial aid process.
- Commitment: On site, 25 Saturdays during the academic year from 12:30 to 1:30 pm. 85% session attendance required.
- Instructors teach students in 1one-hour or half-hour classroom experiences focused on either college writing, math, or SAT Test Preparation
- Prior educational experience is not required to be an instructor. Instructors may elect to use structured Minds Matter curriculum or develop their own materials.
- Commitment: On site. 25 Saturdays between 9:30 to 12:30, depending on what section is being taught. 85% session attendance required.
- Writing Counselors are volunteers with a professional or academic focus in writing who provide directed feedback and assistance with students’ summer program, college, and financial aid application essays.
- Commitment: correspondence through email, with an anticipated turn-around time of one week on edited essays.
Serving as a leadership team member offers a wonderful opportunity to increase your participation in Minds Matter Detroit, and serves a critical role in the implementation of our program services. All volunteers are welcome to apply for any position.
Sessions take place on Saturdays mornings.
There are approximately 25 sessions throughout the school year from September-May.
Mentors are expected to attend 85% of the 25 sessions.
For any questions, please email email@example.com