Who Are Our Students?
Students who are recommended by guidance counselors to apply for Minds Matter as mentees are those who have demonstrated strong academic potential, high motivation and maturity, and a commitment to pursue a college education. Each student completes a rigorous application process, with select interviews. All Minds Matter mentees are students in grades 10, 11, and 12.
What Are The Requirements For A Student To Become A Mentee?
- Must (or will) be enrolled in 10th grade at the start of the program
- Enrolled in school in the Detroit area
- Qualifies for free or reduced lunch
- Lives in a household with an annual income at or below $25,000
- Must maintain an overall grade point average of 3.0 or higher
- Able to commit to attend Saturday sessions from 9:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. throughout the school year
What Are The Requirements For Students To Stay With The Minds Matter Detroit Program?
Minds Matter Detroit requires full attendance of its mentees throughout the school year. Additionally, all mentees must commit to attending academic summer programs before their Junior and Senior years (program lengths vary from 1 to 6 weeks, with an average of 2 weeks).
At Minds Matter Detroit, We Look For Students Who:
- Maintain a strong overall grade point average of 3.0 or higher
- Are committed to pursuing a college education
- Are enrolled, or will be enrolled, in 10th grade at the start of the program and in the Detroit area
- Qualify for free/reduced lunch
- Demonstrate strong academic potential, motivation, maturity, and responsibility
- Are active in extracurricular and/or community activities (part-time jobs included)
Join Us Today
Our mission is to transform the lives of accomplished high school students from low-income families by broadening their dreams and preparing them for college success.